Monday, September 20, 2010

Ancient and Medieval Warfare - it's all in the details

There are few people who don't appreciate a good bargain.  I found Arthur Banks' Atlas of Ancient and Medieval Warfare in a local used bookstore and resisted the urge to buy it, thinking I might be able to get it cheaper.  The original price was $25.00 when it was published in 1982.  The store was asking $17.50.  For a used copy in similar condition at Amazon, you'd have to pay about the same amount.  But of course I checked eBay too.  And there it was ... except for no dust jacket, the same book in excellent condition, for $1.99 (MTS Books in Greensburg, PA).

I call that a bargain!

What made me want this book?  It is chock full of black-and-white detailed maps of Europe, the Near East, India, China, Japan, and Korea, covering battles from 1231 B.C. to 1542.  The maps show movements of armies, locations of fortresses, and important geographic features.  There are explanations of the reasons behind the battles and the strategies of the opposing forces.  There are lists of dynasties and commanders.  There are dates and numbers and tactics.  There are people and places and events I've never heard of before.  I can't think of another book I've ever seen that was so information-dense.  It is a very interesting volume of military history.

No comments:

Post a Comment