Thursday, September 23, 2010

Things That Make Me Gag

I have to get this off my chest.  There are some things I can't stand about certain science fiction and fantasy books.
  • Vampires and zombies.  Come on, hasn't this fad run its course yet?
  • Cover art and book design for Baen Books.  (See, for example, the Honor Harrington series.)
  • Titles or author's names rendered with anything resembling Olde English Text font.
  • The steampunk genre.  And Victorian-era filigree.  Yes, I played the Bioshock video game.  Until I got permanently stuck.  But the aesthetic did little for me.
  • Cover art on several books in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series.
  • The fad of showing a cloaked and hooded character on the cover, frequently without showing any facial features.
Okay, I feel better now.  Thank you for indulging me.

Oh - wait, wait, wait.  Something unrelated that also annoys me: depicting Native American women in paintings as young Caucasian women wearing make-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment