Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Night Before Christmas

Pleased with the art and conception of The Pedlar Lady of Gushing Cross, the ebook app from Moving Tales, I ignored the reviews for the new project from Moving Tales, Twas the Night Before Christmas.  I downloaded the book, expecting a treat, but I find I have to agree with the reviews.  This was not a well-executed book.  It didn't flow well.  There were typographical errors.  The characters were too cartoonish.  Granted, anyone doing their version of this story faces criticism from someone.  But this could've been done much better.

On the other hand, the latest from Padworx, an abridged version of Dickens' A Christmas Carol, I expect will prove to be a worthy successor to their take on Dracula (see my posting).  Already, going through just the first chapter, the artwork is interesting and vibrant, the specters disturbing, the musical score well chosen, the interactive mechanisms on the page clever.  As with Dracula, there are a few typos.  But this is truly an outstanding work.  I will be shocked if my first impression doesn't last through the rest of this short book.  (I can even set aside my feelings toward steampunk.)

Footnote: Not long ago I also downloaded the War of the Worlds ebook app by Smashing Ideas, Inc.  This is not abridged, and may explain why there is only one interactive picture per chapter.  I read War of the Worlds probably 40 years ago.  Unfortunately there's not enough visual excitement in this ebook for me to prioritize reading it over most of the other books I have.  Smashing Ideas is also responsible for the MAC A Tartan Tale ebook app, which, being free, I thought I'd download as well.  Maybe I'm the only male on the planet that doesn't know that this is associated with a line of women's make-up, but the description of the app really does not make that clear.  I'm just glad I didn't pay for it.  After only a few pages, I knew I was not the intended demographic for this product!

No comments:

Post a Comment