Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Discipline, as in, "a lack of discipline in buying books"

Because of a severe case of bibliophilia, I have never succeeded for very long at any disciplined way of buying books. I always have more than I can read. I always find another I want. But perhaps there's another possible cure: force myself to blog on every book I buy. So here goes.

Today, at a local Half Price Books store, I bought the following.

Calvino, Italo. Six Memos for the Next Millennium. I've read virtually every piece of fiction Calvino has written that has been translated into English. My favorites are his more surreal works, like If on a winter's night a traveler and Invisible Cities. This collection of lectures addresses the question, "What should be cherished in literature?"

Hart, John. The Last Child. This mystery simply looked interesting to me.

Prigogine, Ilya. The End of Certainty: Time, Chaos, and the New Laws of Nature. Prigogine was a Nobel Laureate in Chemistry. I enjoyed reading (and trying to understand) his book From Being to Becoming: Time and Complexity in the Physical Sciences as well as Order Out of Chaos: Man's New Dialogue with Nature. If you want to impress someone by being able to discuss nonequilibrium thermodynamics, read Prigogine's work. (And the answer is no, I can't explain it. Just appreciate it.)

Wondrous Strange: The Wyeth Tradition. In recent years I've come to appreciate famous illustrators, especially Frank Frazetta (discussion of whom I will save for a future posting). There's something exciting about N. C. Wyeth's work - it says so much about adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment