Friday, July 16, 2010

Imprinting

Imprinting in the psychological sense - not the publishing sense.

Parents are encouraged to read to their babies long before the little ones can talk or even show they're listening somehow.

So does it work? Consider the evidence ...

When our daughter Kendra was a newborn I placed her lying down in my lap and gently rocked her from side to side while I read the Bible out loud to her. When she was a toddler we took her with us to bookstores. When she was a teen (or tween?) I bribed her into reading the Narnia series by C. S. Lewis. (I bribed her by promising her I would buy her more books.)

Now Kendra is a middle school English teacher and an author of several books (The Stone Garden; Reflection; Drachen), she reads more books and buys more books than I do (if that's possible), and a Narnia-themed library has led her to the right church.

Cue the Twilight Zone theme, please!

And yes, I'm very proud of her.

No comments:

Post a Comment